Event 3: North South Walk

 During these unprecedented times, my perception of campus has changed. As does anything with time. Places develop more meaning, life becomes more cynical and, in a way, locations become more beautiful. After all the protesting and hate crimes committed on the top of Jans steps, I noticed a change in my attitude when waking by the library looking at the grass where the encampment was located. 

(this is a photo I took while the encampment was there)


Initially, when I wrote about walking from north to south on campus, I talked about gender stereotypes and the harsh reality I observed with more men then women on the science side of campus. My perception has changed. It does not seem to be about what gender is where anymore, it was about observing if people were safe. I mean terrible things happened at the encampment and to see people walking around smiling is a miracle in itself. It was almost hard to believe anything happened. 


Now the TA strike is taking over the campus. Walking around I can hear chants and poundings on drums. I am glad people are able to have this freedom of speech and stand up for what they believe in. However, it is sad that is has to happen in the first place. 





This is a video I took the other day while I was walking around. It is hard to believe that people were fighting on this grass. 




This is another I had before the fighting started - the beginning stages of the protest. 



Citations: 

Krauss, Lawrence M. “An Update on C. P. Snow’s ‘Two Cultures.’” Scientific American, 20 Feb. 2024,

     www.scientificamerican.com/article/an-update-on-cp-snows-two-cultures/.

“Pro-Palestinian Protests Grow at California Campuses as Opposing Demonstrators Clash at UCLA.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 25 Apr. 2024, www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-25/pro-palestinian-protests-grow-at-ucla-uc-santa-barbara.

Snow, C. P. (1959). The two cultures and the Scientific Revolution. Physics Bulletin, 10(9), 216–217.

    https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9112/10/9/004 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4: MedTech + Art

Week 2: Math + Art

Week 3: Robotics and Art